Privacy Notice – Data Protection Act 2018
Who we are
We are The Order of ST Benedict at Alton Abbey, Abbey Road, Beech, Alton GU34 4AP. https://altonabbey.com/history-of-alton-abbey We are a charity registered with the Charity Commission (charity number 229216).
What personal information do collect, use and why?
We collect personal information you give us (or that you ask someone to give us) to support you. Depending on the requests and enquires you make, we will collect:
- your name and address
- your contact number or email address
- any information related to dietary, accessibility or other needs you want us to know about (for example, when arranging to stay at one of our retreats).
We will use your personal information to:
- book and manage requests to attend one of the Abbey’s public or private retreats
- process donations and claim Gift Aid (if you ask us to)
- respond to email or telephone enquiries
- support you in any volunteer work you provide to the Abbey
The Abbey does not use your information for the purposes of direct marketing.
Sharing your personal data
Except to send Gift Aid information to HMRC, we only share your personal information internally where necessary to support you.
On what legal bases do we process your personal information?
We process your information such as Gift Aid to meet our legal obligation to HMRC. We otherwise process your personal information because it’s necessary meet your requests and enquiries with us – this will be because you’ve entered into a contract to attend a retreat or with your consent, for example when you voluntarily tell us about any accessibility needs.
Your choices and rights
You have the right to:
- ask us to correct any inaccurate personal information we may hold about you
- ask us to erase your personal information if it’s no longer necessary for us to hold it
- request a copy of personal information we may hold about you (please contact us here if you would like to do this https://altonabbey.com/contact-alton-abbey/general-contact-form )
- lodge a complaint with the UK data protection regulator – see ico.org.uk
Keeping your information secure
We have adopted a range of technical and organisational measures to help safeguard your personal information and keep it secure. We use HTTPS on our website to help protect information submitted via our online contact forms. Paper files are held in locked environments. Those who handle personal information have received awareness training on the importance of good information handling and of the need to protect personal information.
Where is your data stored?
All personal information is held here in the UK
Third parties who support us
Like many organisations we use third parties to provide our email and website services. Minimum data is held by these organisations on our behalf.
How long do we keep your data?
Gift Aid information is held for a total of seven years to meet HMRC obligations. We regularly delete other personal information when it is no longer needed to support you and we can’t justify keeping it.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
If we need to change this Notice because of a change in law or the way we handle personal information we will post updates here and do our best to let you know.