On a recent visit to Burma (Myanmar), Bakery Manager Carole Whittle and her husband Emil made a visit to the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity in Rangoon (now Yangon). The founder of Alton Abbey was the organist of Rangoon Cathedral from 1883-1889; after his ordination, he combined the posts of organist and river port chaplain. The foundation stone of the present building was laid in February 1886 – just two years after the ordination to the diaconate of Charles Plomer Hopkins. The building work on the Cathedral was completed in 1891, by which time Fr Hopkins had moved on to chaplaincy in Calcutta.
Here is an interesting article by Methodist minister James Pritchard who has been a member of the Community’s extended family since he was 8 years old! In it he reflects on the importance of people and places in one’s spiritual formation. The whole blog is worth a read. We look forward to reading the outcome of his time at Alton Abbey!
L-R: Postulant Fr. Alan Salmon; Dom Nicholas Seymour; Abbot Giles Hill; Dom Timothy Bavin; Prior Andrew Johnson; Brother John Towson; Dom Anselm Shobrook; Abbot William Hughes; and Novice Brother Benedict Hintikka
Our founder, Fr ‘Chas’ Hopkins began his work in Rangoon but eventually moved to Calcutta. In 1893 he published a short history of his new society to drum up much needed prayer, recruits & funds. The booklet was called “Our Sailors” and several images are available on Alton Abbey’s Facebook place page.